For speaker opportunities please contact James Hodgson at firstname.lastname@example.org or on +44 (0) 20 3828 2695.
Registration and refreshments
Chair’s opening remarks
Michael Cole-Fontayn, Chairman, AFME
Keynote address: Building the EU’s capital markets: what remains to be done?
- The EU funding mix – which financial system should we strive for and why?
- What role for banks in capital markets?
- What are the challenges to moving forward with market-based finance? What impact does Brexit have?
- Manging risks arising in the non-bank sector
Keynote speaker: Luis de Guindos, Vice President, ECB
Keynote address: Completing the Banking and Capital Markets Union - what is needed in the next institutional cycle?
Keynote speaker: Dr Jörg Kukies, State Secretary, German Ministry of Finance
Session 1: Europe’s Banking Union and Capital Markets Union Projects
- Are these two projects mutually reinforcing? How do they help shore up financial stability?
- What type of banking industry do we need for strong, stable capital markets, and vice versa?
- What role does bank profitability play and what can be done?
- How can we move the two projects forward against the backdrop of post-crisis national ring fencing?
- Which actions should the new Commission prioritise? What can markets and the private sector do?
Moderator: Michael Lever, Managing Director, Prudential Regulation, AFME
Dr Stephan Hutter, Partner, Capital Markets, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom
Martin Merlin, Dir D, Bank and Insurance, DG FISMA, European Commission
Veronique Ormezzano, Head of Group Regulatory Affairs, BNP Paribas
Geert Wijnhoven, Group Treasurer, ING Bank
Session 2: What supervisory architecture do we need in the EU to support these projects?
- Should there be greater centralisation of supervision?
- Should banking and market supervision be distinct?
- Is the current system too complex, does it create inefficiencies?
- Does the single rulebook have teeth without single implementation?
- How can we ensure effective cooperation between the multiple European supervisory authorities? European/national - rule makers/those who implement the rules – macro/micro authorities– going/gone concern perspectives, etc.
- What practical changes would help the system?
Moderator: Jacqueline Mills, Managing Director, Head of Frankfurt Office, AFME
Rodrigo Buenaventura, General Director, Markets, CNMV
Adam Farkas, Executive Director, EBA
Frank Pierschel, Head of Division, International Banking Supervision, BaFin
Fatima Pires, Deputy DG Macroprudential Policy & Financial Stability, ECB
Session 3: Global supervisory trust and cooperation in banking and capital markets
Introductory remarks: Market Fragmentation
Speaker: Joseph Noss, Financial Stability Board Secretariat
- Why does trust between supervisory authorities matter for banking and capital markets?
- Are we seeing a trend towards increased national fragmentation? What is the cost?
- What incentives can be put in place to enhance trust between home and host authorities?
- Can technology play a role in rebuilding trust/overcoming national boundaries?
Moderator: Simon Brennan, Director, Deloitte
Patrick Amis, Director General, DG MS3, ECB
Mary-Cécile Duchon, Deputy Director, International Affairs Directorate, Autorité de Contrôle Prudentiel et de Résolution (ACPR)
Charlotte Gerken, Director, Bank of England
Wilson Ervin, Vice Chairman, Credit Suisse
Michael Hsu, Associate Director, LISCC Supervision, Federal Reserve Board
Fireside with industry leaders: Visions for EU capital markets from senior market practitioners
- What does the single market for financial services mean for your business?
- How does it benefit clients and end-users of financial services? To what extent to we see pricing divergences across Member States?
- What are the key drivers to business model changes and what role does the supervisory architecture play?
- What type of improvements would you like to see the EU supervisory architecture?
Moderator: Silvia Schmitten, Chief Operating Officer for Germany, Barclays
Guy Laffineur, Global Head of Markets, UniCredit
Gerald Podobnik, Head of FIG EMEA and Global Head of Capital Solutions, Deutsche Bank
Martin Wiesmann, Vice Chairman of Investment Banking, EMEA, J.P. Morgan
Stefan Winter, Member of the Management Board, Head Investment Bank, UBS
Jacqueline Mills, Managing Director, Head of Frankfurt Office, AFME
Networking drinks reception