Welcome to the website of the Association for Financial Markets in Europe (AFME). AFME has created this statement so that you understand our information-gathering and information-dissemination practices, and our obligations in relation to such information.
AFME does not collect any personal identifying information about you unless you specifically and knowingly provide such information. We recognise the need to treat any such information which you do provide in an appropriate and lawful manner.
What We Collect
If you provide it, AFME collects and keeps information about how to reach you (such as name, title, firm, mailing and e-mail address, phone and fax number) and information about which specific markets, functional areas, and types of information are pertinent to you.
We use this to help us send you information that is useful to you, and to avoid bothering you with information that isn't. Any data which is not relevant for any of the specific purposes included below will not be collected.
When We Collect It
We collect the information outlined above from multiple sources. We collect information through our website when you fill out an online form or respond to one of our e-mail notices. Submitting personal information is not required to use the AFME website, except to access portions of the site that are protected by a password.
Further examples of ways in which we collect the information include:
- when you participate in one of our surveys or committees;
- when you attend one of our conferences;
- when you provide us with your business card;
- when you write to us; or
- when you provide us with information orally.
What We Do With It
- Data gathered on AFME forms: When you submit an order form, registration form or a contact information form, we store and then keep track of your address so that it's easier for you to re-register or re-order. Other information is used so that we can bill you.
- When you ask for a password: If you're asked for some information when you apply for a password to secure pages, it's used to generate a password and communicate password and other pertinent information to you.
- When you sign up for a web page subscription: When you subscribe to a page, we will only use your email address to send you a notice when that page is updated.
- User Type: The information you provide us with may also be used to help us identify the type of user you are, whether you are a representative, registered corporate or an institutional user.
- Compliance with Laws and Regulations: We may disclose information to comply with applicable laws and regulations, such as to respond to a subpoena or similar legal process, and to otherwise cooperate with law enforcement or regulatory authorities.
- Third Parties: You should be aware that your business contact information may also be provided to third party vendors that are sponsors or exhibitors at AFME conferences. In addition, your business contact information may be used to send you information about AFME or any of its events or activities.
Data Accuracy and Retention
We use reasonable endeavours to ensure that personal information we hold about you is accurate and up to date. Information which is incorrect or misleading is inaccurate, and steps will therefore be taken to check the accuracy of any personal information at the point of collection and at appropriate intervals afterwards. Inaccurate or outdated information will be destroyed.
Data will also be destroyed when it is no longer necessary for us to store it for the purposes stated above.
Processing in Line With Data Subjects' Rights
As an individual about whom we hold personal information, you have the right to:
- request access to any data AFME holds about you;
- object to and prevent the use of your personal information for direct-marketing purposes;
- request to have inaccurate information amended;
- prevent any use of your personal information which is likely to cause unwarranted substantial damage or distress to you or anyone else; and
- object to any decision that significantly affects you being taken by a computer or other automated process.
You can choose to "opt out" of any electronic mailings at any time. Such requests should be made in writing to the email address included below.
You also have the right to request a description of the information we hold about you, details about what the information is used for and to whom it may be passed on to and also details regarding the source of the information.
Please note that any requests for information about the data we hold about you must be submitted in writing to the email address included below.
We will endeavour to protect all personal information collected by AFME in accordance with data protection laws. We will ensure that appropriate security measures are taken against unlawful or unauthorised use of your personal information, and against the accidental loss of, or damage to such information.
Online Information Security
The registration processes on the AFME website may involve you giving a password and account designation. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of the password and account, and are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your password or account. You agree to (a) immediately notify AFME of any unauthorised use of your password or account and any other breach of security, and (b) ensure that you exit from your account at the end of each session. AFME cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with this obligation.
Cookies and IP Addresses
We also track users by IP address and by cookies for broad demographic data, as well as to help make sure that we're delivering the information you want.
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard internet log information and visitor behaviour information. This information is used to track visitor use of the website and to compile statistical reports on website activity.
You can set your browser not to accept cookies and the website http://www.allaboutcookies.org/ provides an explanation of how to remove cookies from your browser. However, in a few cases some of our website features may not function as a result.
AFME currently uses the following cookies on our website:
These cookies are used to improve the user experience of the website by temporarily storing information about the activity of a user on each page. For example, session cookies record the fact that you've logged in to the AFME website. The information gathered by session cookies is not retained after the browser is closed.
These cookies are used to gather information for the Analytics service run by Google. They allow us to record information about how users are accessing and using the website, which in turn is used to develop the website. None of the information stored by these cookies can be used to identify individuals.
You can find more information about the Google Analytics cookie here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6004245
Changes to This Policy
Any changes we make to this policy in the future will be posted on this page. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to this policy.