- Equity underwriting on European exchanges accumulated a total of €26.9 bn in proceeds in 3Q 2016, a 47%decrease from the value originated in 2Q 2016 (€50.9 bn). Equity underwriting encompasses Initial Public Offerings (IPOs), convertible securities and follow-on offerings.
- Year-to-date (YtD), equity underwriting decreased 37% from €169 bn in the first three quarters of 2015 to €106.5 bn in 2016.
- Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) of European companies totalled €180 bn in 3Q 2016, a decrease of 18.9% from the value observed in 2Q 2016 (€ 221.8 bn).
- In the first three quarters of 2016, M&A transactions accumulated €682bn in deal value, an increase of 9% from the same period of 2015 (€626.4 bn).
- Equity trading activity on European main markets and MTFs generated a total of €2.6 tn in turnover value in 3Q 2016, a decrease of 13% from the value traded in 2Q 2016 (€ 3.33 tn).
- On a year-to-date basis, equity turnover decreased 11% from the value traded in the first three quarters of 2015 (from €10 tn to €8.9 tn).
- Market capitalisation of European listed shares stood at € 11.5 tn at the end of 3Q 2016, an increase of 3.9% from 2Q 2016 (€11.1 tn) and an increase of 1.3% from the market value of a year ago (€12.4 tn).