AFME was formed in November 2009 through the merger of the London Investment Banking Association (LIBA) and the European arm of the Securities Industries and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA).
The merger also saw AFME integrate the following former affiliates:
- European Covered Bond Dealers Association (ECBDA) - this is now a part of our Credit division.
- European High Yield Association (EHYA) - this now a part of our High Yield division.
- European Primary Dealers Association (EPDA) - this is now a part of our Rates division.
- European Primary Markets Division (EPMD) - this is now a part of our Equity Capital Markets division.
- European Securitisation Forum (ESF) - this is now a part of our Securitisation division.
- European Securities Services Forum (ESSF) - this is now a part of our Post Trade division.
AFME's first Chairman was Gaël de Boissard, Head of Global Securities at Credit Suisse. Frédéric Janbon, Global Head of Fixed Income at BNP Paribas, was announced as AFME Chairman-elect on 15 July 2013, taking up the role at the end of September the same year. In September 2015, Michael Cole-Fontayn, BNY Mellon’s Executive Vice President, succeeded Mr Janbon as Chairman.
The Board of Directors comprises 20 other senior leaders from the major global financial institutions - with Non-executive Director, Eddy Wymeersch making up the AFME Board of Directors.